Thursday, October 18, 2012

The First Step



Yesterday morning I drove my home-schooled 9th grader to Lansing High School so that she could take the PSAT.  It was early.  I was tired, felt rushed, and I was ever so anxious about leaving her at a school she'd never been to and where she knew no one.  All just so she could take a test two years before she actually needed to.  She, on the other hand, was calm, smiling and talked my ear off the entire 22 minute drive there. (In other words, her usual self!) To her it was as if it were half past 3 in the afternoon and we were on one of many familiar errands.

After dropping her off I felt a rush of unexpected emotions.  My sweet Hanson Ellis, my first born, had just taken the first step of the next step of her life ... and she did it with the same calm, steady confidence she has always possessed.  As I drove home, I wanted to ball my eyes out.  It really hit me at that moment that I have had the most amazing gift ever to have had the opportunity to teach her.  For a first generation homeschooling Momma, I really "got" ... without a doubt ... just how gracious God has been to us with that gift.  She still has the rest of high school to go, and that won't be a walk in the park for her, but I am starting to see the fruits of both of our labors.  It is pure sweetness.

I am in complete awe of my 14 year old.  She is so much fun to be around and I watch grow up.  I am excited to see the plans God has for her start to take form and unfold.  It really is a neat, neat time in her life, and as her Momma, in mine as well.

I give thanks to God for the graciousness He has showed us up to this point, and for the endurance He never ceases to provide.  And I rejoice at how her heart is continuing to grow in the Lord.

For all you mothers of little ones out there ... be encouraged and soak up the time you have with your little ones!  It really does go by all too fast.  Good days are always ahead, but the day you need to focus on is the day you are in right now.  I don't regret one minute of my time with Hanson Ellis.  I am so excited to see her grow, but also thankful I still have her under my roof for just a little longer.  The shift from her needing me to hold her hand to her needing me to let go of it is emotional :) but it also sure is sweet.

It is a neat thing to see your kids grow.  It really, really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment