Sunday, March 18, 2012

Psalm 4



There is such a gift in fellowshipping with others.  I know some people who profess to be Christians, yet do not attend church.  And I admit, there have been times where I haven't felt all that much like going myself.  But today as I sat in church it was one of those times where I realized how blessed I was to have the opportunity to be there.  I thought of Richard who had emailed saying he had to work all day again and wasn't able to attend the Chapel service they have there.  I'm a math girl and I have a slight infatuation with economics, so to throw an Econ101 principle in here, let's just say the basic theory of supply and demand has perfect application.  To those of us who get to attend any one of countless churches in our area, church doesn't always seem to be such a privilege.  And sometimes, for example when you are a single parent of five girls, it can even seem a bit of a hassle.  But to those like my husband, who have very little opportunity to fellowship with other believers and to be fed, worship and fellowship are a quite a commodity.

We have an amazing choir director at our church.  I always enjoy the selections she picks. Today the choir sang an anthem written by Peter Adams, which he derived from Psalm 4.  I wish you could hear it.  It was one of the most beautiful pieces I'd ever heard.  Here are the words ...

In the midst of pain I praise you.
I pray for what you send and receive your gift.
I will not refuse this grief, will not refuse this grief.
A joy is in my heart, is in my heart.
I lie down trusting darkness, for I know you are here.
A joy is in my heart, is in my heart, joy in my heart. 

I think anyone who has a spouse deployed will join me in a resounding "AMEN" after reading this.  

Life is hard. Marriage is hard.  Parenthood is hard. Deployment is hard. 
And war, war is never fair, never pretty, never easy and definitely always hard.  
But for those of us who profess Christ as our Lord, no matter what our circumstances, our hearts are filled with joy. (Psalm 4.7)  

And when I lie down and when Richard lies down, we will both sleep in peace, for God, alone, makes us dwell in safety.  (Psalm 4.8)

I am thankful for not only being fed at church today, but stuffed!  I am thankful for a lunch of milkshakes and pizza with my girls, and I am thankful for a sunny weekend when storms were predicted.  

Joy, yes joy is in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment